Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Class# 158-159; AYC DC Mysore Class # 12-13: WOAH! Dude.

My ego definitely got put in it's place after Friday's question. So Saturday, I went about my practice stopping the primary series at Marichyasana-C, doing a series of three Urdhva Dhanurasana into Matysana to Uttana Padasana and into the finishing postures Salamba Sarvangasana, Halasana, and Karnapidasana and into my best attempt at Baddah Padamasana thru to Savasana. You can imagine my complete and utter surprise when Marichyasana-D, Navasana were added to the primary series and Urdhva Padmasana were added to my finishing sequence yesterday.

Dude. Three postures!?!
Saturday was the first day I finally got myself through Prasarita Padotanasana A-D with some semblance of integrity to the vinayasas.

Ok. I was ok with adding the first two, BUT!
Urdhva Padmasana!

I was supposed to hold full lotus balanced on my shoulders. Uh-huh.
I was more than slightly skeptical.
My facial expression and generally transparent incredulity elicited a chuckle from Teacher.

I surprised myself - with "a little" assistance I was able to wriggle my way into the posture yesterday. Ok, so getting into it today was a little touch and go. But I got there - on my own.

Practice in Mysore builds from both ends from the beginning sequence and finishing postures, moving sequentially deeper and deeper into poses as your body is ready both in terms of strength and flexibility. Which makes complete sense. Whether in yoga practice or life in general, moving into something you're not ready for either physically, mentally, or emotionally - more often than not does more harm than good.

Sometimes it's easier for those on the outside to see the truth of the situation.

No comments: