Monday, May 19, 2008

Mantra Monday: With age comes experience. With experience comes wisdom.

Last week I received one of those superfluous JCrew.com emails announcing the sale to end all sales. I must receive one every week or two and they are quickly dispatched to the trash. I have no need for more shoes, more sweaters, or more seersucker. Last Wednesday, in a moment endearing innocence, guileless fortitude, I opened the email and quickly clicked over to the shoe section. I would not even presuppose a single iota of hesitation.

There were these absolutely gorgeous
3 3/4" stacked heel, leather soled, Mary-Janes with Italian suede trim. With the extra discount, plus a store credit (I somehow remembered I had), they would be well under $100.00. These shoes, my friends, could be mine for less than 50% of their original price (of $268.00 not including JCrew's exorbitant shipping costs)!

I was a woman possessed.
I had not hit a feeling of Flow like this since going through a high flying whale sequence while in London at the AcroYoga intensive.

Before I knew what I had done, I was printing the order confirmation.


The weekend comes, Saturday night I make my way to the local bookstore and new favorite haunt - Politics & Prose. Of course I had to put on a pair of cute, yet casual, 3 1/2" heels. I notice a subtle twinge in my hips and knees. BUT! I am a Wellesley Woman, going out on a Saturday night. I must look cute, in an effortless and easy manner with a definite air of elegance. I was going to the bookstore.

Sunday's Mysore practice was a little touch and go. My hips and knees were a little stiff. At various times lotus was a little difficult. I easily rationalized that - I was just tired and I didn't do Mysore practice Saturday, so I was just a little stiff. Monday, today, would be better.

Today, Monday. Practice - I'm rocking and rolling through my vinyasas and then I hit upon Ardha Baddha Padma Pashimattanasana (the long winded way of saying: right leg in bound lotus and bend over, touching your chin to your shin). Now, I know my hips are tight, from stress and from playing field hockey, but I thought the were loosening up! Then I move into Marichyasana-B (fancy way of saying, right leg bent into your butt with your left leg in lotus, and then fold forward, with your hands bound around your back). Things became a little crazy there - but I made it through. Then
I came to Marichyasana-D (basically B but twist your arms and waist in the opposite direction, into a full spinal twist) couldn't even remotely find it. Not even the mere speculation of a full spinal twist could be realized.

I completed the sequence and moved into my finishing and resting postures.

I rolled up my mat and hobbled the long mile back to my apartment, got ready for work, not after applying copious amounts of China Gel (think Vegan Ben-Gay, used in Jivamukti Practice and by many massage therapists). Begrudgingly, I wore my Dansko clogs to work. While comfy and cute for New England wear, they just really don't work for entertaining clients and attorneys in DC.

So I took action, performing diligent and extensive research on the inter-webs for shoes that could save my knees and hips. The Mathematician and the Artist both recommended MBTs. Yes. Great for posture and the like. Not so, um, stylish and law office apropos. Further research reintroduced me to the EarthShoe. The local Bauhuas contingent continually extol their virtues. I found a location near my office that sell them and as soon as placing them on, my knees breathed a sigh of relief and I could have sworn I heard heaven's angels singing in my hips.

I couldn't purchase them fast enough.
These were the first pair of "sensible" shoes I have purchased in longer than I can remember.
The Artist's response to my purchase. Finally.

My coworkers could hardly believe their eyes when they saw me wearing flats - many asking me if I felt ok or if some horrible tragedy had befallen my soul or if I was in fact an imposter.
"No," I replied, "I'm just taking care of myself." My mind was racing - But what about my beautiful JCrew Mary-Janes? They were meant to replace the JCrew shoes I had bid farewell to in the twilight of last summer.


There's certainly something to be said for moderation and the realization that indulgence certainly does carry a price. It's just knowing when to be sensible, and knowing when to be flirtatious - all coming from age and experience.

No comments: