Thursday, May 15, 2008

Class# 144 - 148; AYC DC Mysore Class # 1 - 4: Back to Basics (yet, again)

It is truly a humbling experience to fly on your own, with the gentle yet firm guidance of a teacher. As part of my revamping and reinvention, I'm now waking at 5:15 am and heading out the door after 15 min or so of meditation, walking a mile to a Mysore class, a mile back to my apartment and then a mile to the metro to work. So, by the time I would have normally still been considering getting up, I've walked two miles, done my morning meditation, got in a yoga practice, had breakfast at my kitchen table, and now writing today's entry.

So, some of you are probably wondering what exactly is Mysore? Mysore Style is a traditional Ashtanga self-practice with the assistance of a teacher - named after Mysore, India where Sri. K. Pattabhi Jois, the modern master of Ashtanga, teaches at his school, the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute.

I went into this thinking that I knew the flow. Thinking that I understood the sequencing of asanas. Thinking that I understood what vinyasa (moving with breath) was.


I will be the first to tell you that I had no idea of what practice meant, until I began this process. When you're accustomed to 90 minutes of yoga practice, to be cut off after 37 minutes (in class #1 on Monday) and taught 3 finishing postures (which you still can't seem to sequence quite properly with breath let alone, order by day #4) - it's quite humbling. In the span of four Mysore classes I have begun to systematically break down old habits and hopefully lay a new foundation, slowly building on itself in form, flexibility and strength. Really, truly stripping down to the base layer.


They don't teach you this in any of the books.

No comments: