Monday, January 21, 2008

Mantra Monday: Finding Balance, Living Your Dreams

I am back to working on my craft, back to working on jewelry.
I've already attended two classes, both being close to sheer anarchy.
But should I expect anything less from an artist and craftsman?


In this two week period I've thrown myself back into the deep end, pulling out a design I began to work on in 2004. A bit of an involved piece (understatement), involving anticlastic raising (a technique I've never practiced before), but I figure I have six classes to complete it, so there should be no problem. This long weekend, I had a grand plan of spending time with the members of Bauhaus who were in town, and going to yoga, and getting my template drafted.


Sometime Saturday afternoon sitting in the Verizon Center between the overpirced pretzels, beer, and watching Georgetown decimate Notre Dame, I realized that I was just being crazy. There was no way to do all of those things. If I did spend my time drafting or at yoga, I would have missed out - missed the joy and warmth of these friendships and seeing those friends I haven't seen in a long time. Also, learning where everyone is and where they currently see themselves going. One of the great things about reconnecting with old friends is that we are given the oppertunity to share our dreams and allow our friends to help make these dreams a reality.


There's only so much time in the day and sometimes I feel as though I'm making up for lost time, maybe I try to put to much into my day and forget to savor the moments.


We all do this.


Sitting at Steak & Eggs with a couple members of Bauhaus, sopping up the last of the faux-maple syrup with their buttery pancakes this morning, I truly remembered the importance of balancing things that we feel are important, those things that truly are important, and those individuals who help propel our dreams.

No comments: