Monday, January 7, 2008

Mantra Monday: 2008 is going to Rock!

With the close of the year and the start of a new one, at least in my world, everything tends to spin slightly out of control while moving at warp speed. Trying to get that last minute whatever, accomplished. Me? I was baking my white chocolate blueberry bread pudding for a pot luck dinner on New Years Eve while getting ready for a party immediately after. Not to mention shopping for an outfit to be worn to said party earlier that same day. I had some delusions of taking a nap in that afternoon. Ha!

I'm starting to believe that years run logarithmically. (Or is algorithmically?) Anyways, speeding up right until the end. Then...

*POW!*
Midnight strikes and it's a brand new year.

On the stroke of midnight, just as Cinderella turning into a pumpkin, we pass and instate resolutions to change. Work out more, eat better, go to bed at a decent hour, stop eating an entire box of Girl Scout Cookies during the course of a work day, etc.

Instead of passing resolutions on my life, I take some time to time to set my intentions for the year. I sit and think about those people and activities that are important to me - trying to make my day as much of a microcosm of what I want my year to be as possible. I reflect on my accomplishments from the previous year (compiled over the course of the previous week). I write down my 2, 5, and 10 year goals and then look at the goals I wrote down in previous years to see where I've been but more importantly to get a better idea of my current surroundings.


At the beginning of yoga practice, we set our intentions, something that is internally said to help move us in the direction of what we need and where we should be going. Take some time to set an intention for your year. Maybe write it down? When things become overbearing and not looking so hot, remember your intention. Repeat it to yourself to help gain your bearings again, to remember the path that you're on.

If the first week of 2008 is any indication of this coming year,
It is really going to rock n' roll!

A Belated Yet Very Happy New Year To All!

No comments: