Thursday, December 6, 2007

Lady Apollo's Project

This is a blatant plug for one of my dearest friends, Lady Apollo.

This coming Sunday, December 9, 2007 she will be running her first ever marathon, for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society in Honolulu, HI.

The idea of running a marathon has never even begun to speculate in my mind and when I received her announcement letter about it I was totally and completely floored. Lady Apollo, running a marathon? The same Lady Apollo who would stay out at Irish bars in Boston with me until 3am (or later) slinging back Guinness and Irish Whiskey? I knew that with the blooming of this past spring she began working-out more and running, but nothing like this.

Oh, did I also mention she didn't get this idea until June of this year?
Beginning her training in July?

When I asked her how she came to do this (what at the time I considered a) crazy idea. Lady Apollo offered a simple response:

I was running with some friends from work and when I got home, there was this brochure from the Leukemia Lymphoma Society that mentioned this run. I've come to enjoy my time running and I thought what could be better than to do something you enjoy and help fight cancer?

But ultimately, I just did it, there was no thought to it.
I wanted to do it.
You know?


When she said this, my respect for her grew tenfold. The ease with which she purposefully and adroitly takes action has always been an inspiration to me. Since meeting the first week of college, she has been a resolute voice and continually reminds me how important it is to do what feels right to you. She never ceases to amaze me.

Please take a moment and surf on over to Lady Apollo's site:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntwaak/kimmieinhonolulu
(donations will be accepted for about a month after her run on Sunday)



Good luck Lady Apollo.
Namaste.

No comments: