Thursday, August 2, 2007

Chilaxing

Yesterday afternoon I was complaining about my lack of plans to Courtroom Cowboy. His response, "Why don't you just chilax for a change?" And thus, last night was the first night a long long long time that I have done absolutely positively nothing with my evening. Well, nothing planned. I returned home from work, kicked off my heels, changed into my super comfy clothes, heated up some dinner, crashed out on the couch and watched a movie. Did a little fluff reading and chatted on the phone.

All in all - it was a success.


At dinner a couple Fridays ago, Sophisticate asked me, "What do you do to take care of yourself?" I had a hard time answering this question. My response was "Well, the pedicure and the massage that Courtroom Cowboy arranged for me were great!" While completely honest, I don't think it fully answered her question - a very important and difficult question we all too often neglect.

Can we leave work at work? Why is it so difficult to do this? Try not too look or think about your blackberry for an entire night. Focus on just one thing.
Your friends. Your family. You.

Is "everything" else so important? It's hard to believe that the business world actually functioned without all of these things. But, guess what? It did. Take sometime to honor yourself and allow yourself to be blissfully happy and let go of all the "stuff" that surrounds you.

Browse the shoe departments of various stores. :)
Take five minutes in the middle of your day to go outside and grab a nice cup of tea from the local indie coffee shop.
Browse the local bookstore for a new book.
Rock out on your air guitar in your cubicle.
Call a friend you haven't spoken to in months.
Write a love letter.

What makes you smile and your eyes sparkle?
What do you do to take care of yourself?

No comments: